- Review: The Problem of Thor Bridge by Arthur Conan Doyle – A Crime is Afoot
- THE CASE-BOOK OF SHERLOCK HOLMES - THE PROBLEM OF THOR BRIDGE
- "The Problem of Thor Bridge" Manuscript: a Sherlock Holmes Story
- #36: The Impossible Crimes of Sherlock Holmes – III: The Problem of Thor Bridge
Review: The Problem of Thor Bridge by Arthur Conan Doyle – A Crime is Afoot
After writing nearly fifty Holmes stories, Conan Doyle found it difficult to come up with new ideas. His editor at the Strand Magazine , H.
Greenhough Smith, suggested an idea based on a real suicide reported by Dr. In it, an investigator sees damage to the parapet of a bridge near a body, and uses this clue to find a pistol tied to a stone in the water below. Split into two parts, it appeared in the February and March issues of both the Strand Magazine and Hearst's International Magazine.
THE CASE-BOOK OF SHERLOCK HOLMES - THE PROBLEM OF THOR BRIDGE
While the manuscript is also split into two parts, the break point on page 42, with the "Continuation" notice , does not match the break point used by the Strand. Doran produced the American first edition.
- The Problem of Thor Bridge?
- The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes S05E02 The Problem of Thor Bridge.
- Mujerongas (Spanish Edition).
- The Problem of Thor Bridge - Wikipedia?
Besides the excellent style and plot, it features a most tantalizing reference on the first page to a "battered tin dispatch box" with many unpublished Holmes cases. Watson then describes several of these, including the famous disappearance of Mr. James Phillimore, the missing cutter Alicia , and the case of Isadora Persano, found stark staring mad with a match box containing a "remarkable worm said to be unknown to science.
Top of p. The manuscript description above has more information and other photos.
See the Bonhams catalogue for other photos of the manuscript. My thanks to Tom Lamb and Katie Segreto at Bonhams for photos and additional details about the manuscript. Special thanks to David Karpeles for allowing me to examine the manuscript in Details from Bonhams catalogue and other sources. The first version of this report appeared March 19, Bonhams April manuscript auction. But Post went all the way with the impossible-aspect offered by the situation. On the other hand, C.
"The Problem of Thor Bridge" Manuscript: a Sherlock Holmes Story
Snow used this explanation as a satisfying false solution a decade later in Death Under Sail. It seems to have been the origin for this gambit: in both real-life and crime-fiction.
- The Problem of Thor Bridge a Sherlock Holmes Quiz?
- Accessibility links?
- The Problem of Thor Bridge - A Sherlock Holmes Adventure by Bailrigg FM | Mixcloud.
- Basic Dating Rules for Women!
- Russias Chechen Wars 1994-2000: Lessons from the Urban Combat?
- The Casebook of Sherlock Holmes!
- Latest News.
Like Liked by 1 person. Similarly the story of Thor Bridge is an impossible crime for only one person and that person turns out to be the killer!
You are commenting using your WordPress. You are commenting using your Google account. You are commenting using your Twitter account. You are commenting using your Facebook account. Notify me of new comments via email.
#36: The Impossible Crimes of Sherlock Holmes – III: The Problem of Thor Bridge
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed. Search for:. There were no traces at all. So, er, obviously the suspect denies having been anywhere near the scene of the crime, right, or has an unshakeable alibi proving they were elsewhere?